Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Heading For Kansas Sunday

I will be leaving this Sunday for a week long hunting trip in Jewel county Kansas. Jewel County is located in north central Kansas and the particular area that I am hunting is only about 7 miles from Nebraska. My hunting partners for this trip are a couple of good friends of mine from high school, Shane Howell and Robert Sterett.

Click Here To Read

We actually went on a 4 day trip to Kansas about 2 weeks ago. We did a little hunting, but did not have any success. We used that time primarily as a scouting trip. We spent most of our time setting up stands and getting to know the land that we are going to be hunting. We all saw deer, Shane and Robert both saw a couple of small bucks, but I only saw does. Shane and I did see a couple of shooter bucks one night driving back to the lodge where we are staying.

The hunting in Kansas is much different than the hunting that I am used to doing here in Texas. We are mainly hunting the edges of crop fields and in drainage areas around creeks. I was surprised by the terrain that we are hunting. I have always thought of Kansas is being flat, level land where you could see for miles. The land that we are hunting actually has some rolling hills and steep elevation changes from the crop fields to the drainage area.
Before we left we set out some game cameras by three of the stands that we set up. Hopefully we will have some picture of good bucks in the area. We are hoping to get there early enough on Sunday to go and retrieve the SD cards and check the pictures, but we may have to wait until Monday morning.

The rut should be peaking during the week that we are there, so even if our piece of property is not holding any big bucks, we may get lucky and get a couple of neighboring bucks cruising through searching for hot does.

I did not take any video or pictures of our last trip, but I plan on documenting this upcoming trip, and I will be sure and post pictures and stories when I get back. Hopefully I will have pictures of 3 monster bucks lay down, after all that is what we are making the trip for.


No comments: