Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New Bow!

I got back from vacation on Saturday. The fam and I had a great time, but it was good to get back. On Sunday I went out and shot alot of arrows through my Bowtech General, and I have to say I was shooting it really well.

Click Here To Read More


Well, on Monday I talked to my friend Robert who is in the market for a new bow. I decided that I would go to All Star Archery in Lewisville with him on Tuesday and help him pick one out. I was not really planning on shopping for myself, as I just purchased my Bowtech General last year and it performed flawlessly last season. I killed a buck in Kansas, a buck in Texas and 3 does in Texas. All of the animals dropped within eye sight of my stand. I have never had that happen before in the past. I was however, very interested in shooting the Elite Z28, as I have heard and read alot of good things about the bow and the company.

All Star Archery had one Z28 in a 28" draw length at the shop, imagine that, just my size. The guys in the shop put a rest on it and let me shoot it a few times. The bow was every bit as good as had been reported. It had a very smooth draw cycle and smooth shot with little to know vibration. It also was lightning fast. That being said, I decided not to buy it, because if I was going to buy the Z28 I wanted to get it in Ninja black and All Star only had it in Camo. Also, I did not like letting the bow down, it really seemed to jerk my arm off.

Robert had the shop set up 4 bows for him to shoot, the Mathews Reason, Bowtech Admiral, Hoyt Turbo Hawk and the Hoyt Alpha Max 32. He shot all of them quite a bit and gave them all a good test. Robert originally went to the shop with the intentions of buying a Mathews, but after shooting the Hoyts, decided he liked the feel and was more comfortable with them. His only dilemma was whether to buy the Alpha Max or the Turbo Hawk which is about $300.00 less.

The whole time I was looking at the Alpha Max 32 that they had set up for him. It looked so sexy, it was the all black model, and it just kept calling to me. I have heard alot of great things about the Hoyt Alpha Max and you see the guys on tv shooting them all the time.

To make a long story short, when Robert was taking a break from shooting I picked up the very light Alpha Max 32 and let a few arrows fly. Wow! that bow was awesome. I thought it was smoother than the Elite all the way around. The draw cycle was very smooth, with a deep valley (much deeper than my Bowtech General) and a nice hard wall that allowed me to anchor perfectly. There was no hand shock or vibration and the bow was super quite. The grip felt perfect in my hand, all in all the bow just fit me perfectly.

I was going to let Robert make his decision between the two Hoyt bows, but he was waivering back and forth. He told me to buy the Alpha Max and I didn't hesitate. As usual I go to a store, shopping with someone else with no intentions of purchasing anything for myself and guess who walks out with a new bow, me! Robert is a smarter consumer than I am, as he decided that he needed to sleep on it and do a little more research before he decides between the 2 bows. He had the guys at the shop hold the last Alpha Max for him, it has 60 lb limbs and is the model with the black riser and camo limbs.

I am very excited about my purchase, and can't wait to get it set up. I am going to put my HHA optimizer site on it and probably my Vital Gear Kazaway rest. I will buy a new Fuse stabilizer for it and probably get a new Fuse quiver.

Last night after working out, I wanted to keep my shooting practice routine going so I shot about 30 arrows through my General. I shot it great, the whole time thinking to myself "Why did you buy a new bow? This one is great!" As anyone who knows me can attest, my weakness is shiny new toys. I feel comfortable knowing that the new Alpha Max will perform everybit as good this season as the General performed last season. Number one it is a great bow, just as the Bowtech, but more importantly this being my 7th year bowhunting, combined with the amount of practice I have put in and the success I have enjoyed, my confidence in my ability is what will ultimately allow me to get the job done this coming season.

No comments: