Monday, September 15, 2008

Final Prep For Deer Season

This past weekend I went to Brady for my final preparations before deer season. I had to fill a few feeders, replace some batteries, and make sure that all of my stands were in working order. While I was there I also got a chance to check out my game cameras. Click on the title of this post to see the pictures.

Unfortunately I have not gotten any pictures of anything big yet, certainly not the quality of deer that we saw last year. I am not too worried yet, as I have never really gotten any pictures of good bucks this early in the year in the pa
st. I had most of my game cameras set up on corn feeders that have only been feeding for about a month. From my past experience it seems that the big bucks do not usually start showing up on the cameras until mid to late October.

This is the best buck that I got a picture of, From what I can tell he is just a big 8 point. He may be a consideration for a management buck this year. From the 1st picture he looks to be a mature buck, look at the difference in body size compared to the other buck. The second picture is a head on picture of the same buck. He looks to be fairly wide, 18" or so.





He has really good main beams as you can tell from the first picture, it is ashame that he did not grow any more tines and add some trash.

I got plenty of pictures of some young bucks with potential. This one for instance looks like a son or brother of the Pope & Young buck that I killed last year. His G2 are forked like my buck form last year and if you look closely he has G4's that are just starting to show. This buck still needs a few years, but he has potential to be a really nice trophy.



I thought that the following 2 pictures were funny. You know that you have a pig problem when you see them sleeping right underneath you stand. Oh well, if the quality of bucks that I am seeing does not get any better, at least I will have some good pig hunts.





I am in the process of going back through photos that I got last year and trying to pick out some potential bucks to look out for this year. If I find any that are interesting I will post them.

No comments: