Monday, September 8, 2008

Not Much Luck

Well, I did not have much luck dove hunting this weekend. One reason was that I did not shoot very well, and the other reason was that there were not many birds to be shot.

On Friday we ended up going to Jon Roy's ranch in Bosque county. There were quite a few birds there, but they were all spread out and mostly in trees. We spent most of the time walking and flushing them out of the trees. I think that we only got 8 or 9 between the 3 of us.

On Saturday morning we went to the investment property in Midlothian, that was not any better. I got the only bird of the morning. We did get to meet the game warden of Ellis county. He was and his partner were very nice, they just wanted to stop to make sure that we all had our hunting licenses and that everything was on the up and up. I have alot of respect for those guys. Think about it, the majority of people that they encounter are armed. I know that 99.999% of outdoorsmen that they come across are good law abiding citizens, but you know that there are a few crazy people out there. I think that being a game warden can be a pretty scary job at times. This was actually my first encounter with a game warden in the field. I have been hunting for close to 25 years and never had an encounter. It is funny, even though I knew I was not doing anything wrong, I was kind of nervous, kind of like being around a policeman I guess.

I am glad that my family does not have to rely on me to provide them dove meat in order to survive, because at the rate my dove season is going we would be starving to death.

No comments: