Wednesday, September 3, 2008

New Bow Setup

As I I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been in the market for a new bow this year. About 2 weeks ago I finally purchased a Bowtech General from All Star Archery in Lewisville. The one that I chose has the Advantage Max 4 camo upgrade. After I bought the bow I had to wait a week to get it fitted and set up because Bowtech was sending a couple of representatives down to All Star Archery to change out the limbs on all of their customers Generals. Bowtech had a recall on all of the Generals made between a certain period of time this past spring and summer because some of the limbs were machined wrong. (click here to read about the recall notice from bowtech) Apparently there was the possibility of the cam coming loose and seperating from the limb when at full draw. Out of the thousands of bows sold there were only 5 or 6 cases of this happening, but just to be on the safe side Bowtech did what was right and replaced all of the limbs. I would imagine that this cost Bowtech quite a bit of money.

Last Wednesdy the bow was finally ready for me to pick up. Roy at All Star Archery helped me set it up. First I chose my rest, which as I mentioned in an ealier post, I already knew I was gong to get the Vital Gear drop away rest that I have on my Bowtech Defender. I then needed to choose a sight. As I have mentioned in the past I have really gotten into the Bowcast pod cast. Anthony and Aneal (the hosts) really believe in adjustable single pin sights to increase your shooting ability and your effective range. They both shoot a Surelock adjustable single pin sight, but I opted for the HHA Optmizer. This is a very good adjustable single pin sight. It comes with something like 44 sight tapes. For those that are not familiar with an adjustable single pin sight, here is a brief synopsis of how it works. You start off with a sight tape that is for sighting in your bow, you then dial the sight to its highest point that you can and shoot it at 20 yards. You adjust the sight up or down unitl you have it dialed in at 20 yards. Make note of the number that your sight is on when you get it sighted in at 20 yards, in my case that number was 2. You then move back to 60 yards and sight your bow in at 60 by moving the dial down until you get it dialed in. You make not of the number that your sight is set on at 60 yards, in my case it was 45. You then take 45 (60 yard setting) and subtract 2 (20 yard setting) which leaves you with 43. The sight tapes that come with the sight are all labeled with a number, you find the sight tape labeled 43 and put it on your sight. Now you have a sight that has 20 yards all the way to 60 yards with a line for each 1 yard increment in between.

After the sight I had to choose a stabilizer. I went with the new 7" stabilizer from Octane, a bow accessory company owned by Bowtech. Then I chose my quiver, I went with the six arrow one piece Satori quiver from Fuse. I was really conscious of noise when setting up this bow, and all of the accessories that I purchased have built in noise suppressors to cut down on as much of the noise as possible when the shot is fired. This is the quietest bow I have ever shot or ever heard someone else shoot, even Roy the archery pro that set the bow up said that it is the quietest set up he has ever heard.

I am really happy with my choice, the bow is very smooth. It is amazing the advances in technology that Bowtech (and many bow manufacturers) have accomplished in the 3 years since I bought my last bow. I have to admit that sighting the bow in has been difficult, for the simple fact that until recently I had never even shot a bow at a 60 yard target. The amount of concentration required to shoot a target at that distance is mind blowing. Your mechanics also have to be rock solid, any small flaw will in your form will be magnified at that distance.

I will keep practicing every day until season starts. Even though I have a sight with the capabilities of shooting out ot 60 yards, I will save that for target practice only. I hope to increase my effective hunting range to 40 yards by the time the season roles around. Up to this point in my bow hunting career I have only been comfortable shooting at a maximum range of 20 to 25 yards. The new bow with the arrows and broad heads that I am shooting has more than enough kinetic energy at 40 yards to deliver a humane kill. Being comfortable shooting at that distance will open up a lot more opportunities for me, especially when I go on my whitetail hunt in Kansas later this year.

This has been a little too much tech talk for anyone to enjoy. I will try to post soon about the trip that my family and I took to the deer lease in Brady over the labor day weekend.

No comments: