Friday, September 5, 2008

Heading Out For A Little Dove Busting

I am going to go dove hunting this afternoon with my dad and a friend of ours, Jon Roy. I am not sure where we are going yet. We are either going to go to Jon Roy's ranch in Bosque county near Iredale, Texas or we are going to go and hunt some investment property that my dad owns in Midlothian, Texas.

I went out to the property in Midlothian yesterday evening to scout it out. I probably saw about 100 birds or so. My dad has owned this land with a group of people for about 3 years now. We never knew that we could hunt on it, because it is just right on the outskirts of town. This past Monday, opening day of dove season, I was driving to hunt on some land that my dad owns near Waxahachie, Texas. On the way I passed the investment property in Midlothian, when I looked across the highway at it, there were about 6 guys out there hunting. They were not trespassing or anything, there is actually a farmer that leases the land from my dad's investment group for cattle and farming. I am very excited about this, because this land is about 600 acres and is only about 10 minutes from my house.

If we do not hunt the Midlothian property this afternoon, you can bet that I will hunt it at some point this weekend. I did not do very well on opening day, so I am excited to get out there and try to hit some of those speed birds. I got really involved in sporting clays this spring and summer, I even took about 6 hours worth of shooting lessons. I have really improved my sporting clays shooting, and am anxious to find out if it will translate to my wing shooting ability.

I will check in later and let everyone know how we do.

No comments: