Thursday, July 16, 2009

What Camcorder To Buy

I am in the process of trying to figure out what camcorder to buy before this coming hunting season. My head is spinning. There are so many things to consider when buying a camcorder, and all of the information can be a bit overwhelming. I am currently using a Panasonic 3ccd camcorder that records to mini dv tapes. It has served its purpose, but I am really wanting to get something a little better.

Click Here to Read More

There are so many things that I want in a video camera, but I do not want to spend $4,000 to $5,000 to get it. The main reason that I want a new camera is that the Panasonic that I am currently using does not have an external mic input . I have gotten by using the onboard mic built into the camera, but the audio lacks a lot to be desired. As you know filming hunts outdoors there are a lot of ambient sounds that I would like to capture. The built in mic is just not powerful enough to capture that. Also there is no way to put an effective wind screen on the mic, so I end up with a terrible wind noise on my videos.

For years I have thought about getting the Canon Gl2. The Gl2 is probably the most popular camera for filming hunting and outdoor footage. I visit huntingfootge.com quite a bit and most of the better videographers on that site swear by the GL2. The Gl2 is considered a prosumer model camera and I believe runs around $2,000.00 new. Really the main hang up I have about purchasing the Gl2 is the size of the camera. I do not have a camera man in the tree with me, so I have to do the filming of my hunts by myself. Even with a really good tree arm, I do not know if the size of the Gl2 is going to be more difficult to work with than the smaller consumer model camcorders. The other problem with the Gl2 is that it is only a standard definition camera. I am not really sure if I need a high definition camera right now, but my feeling is that if I record the video in high definition it will always be available to me at that resolution at a later date when I do have the need for it.

That brings me to the Sony FX7. The Sony FX7 is a prosumer model high definition camera that is priced about the same is the Canon Gl2. My main problem with buying the FX7 is that I have had some problems with Sony products in the past and swore that I would never buy Sony products again. Well I may have to go back on my word.

Then there is the Canon VIXIA HF S100. This is a nice little camera that looks like and is the size of more of the camcorders that you see everyday. This camera is intriguing to me for two reasons. First it is an HD camera, and second it has dual flash memory. The dual flash memory has its advantages in my opinion. The biggest advantages are, no more mini dv tapes and it is easier to get your footage from the camera to the computer. However the draw back to it is that it is not going to have the manual focus ability (or ease of ability) as the Gl2 or the FX7 and with the camera being so small like most camcorders it is hard to eliminate shake and vibration when you are not using a tripod or camera mount. Also the cost of the Canon Vixia HF S100 is about $1300.00. when you get into that price range, you may as well start considering one of the prosumer models.

The FX7 like the GL2 has everything that I want and probably more than I need. I am not sure that it will perform in low light as well as the Gl2, but again unless I spend quite a bit more money, I am not going to get the perfect camera. I am only shooting video for my own personal enjoyment as well as sharing my experiences with friends. I hope to one day put video on this website to share with anyone that cares to watch. I am by no means a professional, or for that matter a good amateur, but I am very interested and enjoy filming and would like to become better. I worry about becoming a better videographer and catching footage of some really unique and memorable moments and then not being able to do anything with the footage because of poor video quality.

I hope to make a decision on this in the next few weeks and I will keep everyone that is interested informed on what decision I make. Instead of worrying about upgraded my equipment I should probably focus my attention on the many hours of video footage that I already have and try to make something out of it.

No comments: